Re: Selective Disclosure for W3C Data Integrity

Here is another more subtle example that seems to require some bundling.
At the bottom I include a greatly simplified JSON-LD example based on a
“real” CLR (comprehensive learner record) example from Tracy Korsmo.

As part of the CLR we can get a listing of all the courses a learner has
taken. However just because they took the course doesn’t mean they
passed or completed the course. As you can see below the |creditsEarned|
field seems to indicate this desirable information along with the
|creditsAvailable| information without it the course information doesn’t
see to mean much. Note that the |result| field (letter grade) could be
selectively disclosed. In the example below the student did not complete
two of their courses in their senior year in high school, but did great
in a couple other courses. Note: not a real student!

Note that I’m pointing out these potentially more complex cases so that
we can potentially handle them in the future. The CLR spec doesn’t
mention selective disclosure (i.e., my quick search didn’t find it) so
it is not a requirement for them yet. I don’t think we should delay
rolling out selective disclosure features in some very widespread
privacy enhancing cases when it is not yet a requirement but I think
with some reasonable processing we can deal with some of these
“bundling”/“atomicity” issues. Hence the importance of collecting real
world examples and then simplifying them for general understanding.

Cheers Greg

*Simplified JSON-LD Example* (CLR 1.0 like course listing):

|{ "@context": { "@vocab":
"https://windsurf.grotto-networking.com/selective#" }, "assertions": [ {
"achievement": { "name": "Ag Processing", "issuer": { "name": "Great
Plains High School" }, "achievementType": "Course", "creditsAvailable":
0.500, "fieldOfStudy": "AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION", "level": "12",
"resultDescriptions": [ { "name": "Term Grade", "resultType":
"LetterGrade" } ] }, "recipient": { "type": "id", "identity":
"urn:uuid:c110ee6b-938c-dc58-1a35-eff2e11587d8", "hashed": false },
"creditsEarned": 0.000, "term": "S2", "results": [ { "value": "IP" } ],
"verification": { "type": "Signed" } }, { "achievement": { "name":
"Horticulture", "issuer": { "name": "Great Plains High School" },
"achievementType": "Course", "creditsAvailable": 0.500, "fieldOfStudy":
"AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION", "level": "12", "resultDescriptions": [ {
"name": "Term Grade", "resultType": "LetterGrade" } ] }, "recipient": {
"type": "id", "identity":
"urn:uuid:c110ee6b-938c-dc58-1a35-eff2e11587d8" }, "creditsEarned":
0.000, "term": "S2", "results": [ { "resultDescription":
"urn:uuid:c988fea4-a5ef-4ce9-bc46-cd96147ffc7f", "value": "IP" } ] }, {
"achievement": { "name": "Welding and Fab", "issuer": { "name": "Great
Plains High School" }, "achievementType": "Course", "creditsAvailable":
0.500, "fieldOfStudy": "AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION", "level": "11",
"resultDescriptions": [ { "name": "Term Grade", "resultType":
"LetterGrade" } ] }, "recipient": { "type": "id", "identity":
"urn:uuid:c110ee6b-938c-dc58-1a35-eff2e11587d8" }, "creditsEarned":
0.500, "term": "S1", "issuedOn": "0001-01-01T00:00:00", "results": [ {
"resultDescription": "urn:uuid:78408f07-a90e-4433-bdad-ce65c3d480a7",
"value": "A" } ] }, { "id":
"urn:uuid:2cad07bc-ca64-44dc-bb81-ffcdaa44aaba", "achievement": { "id":
"urn:uuid:99711d8c-8c60-493b-9d4e-76e0ceaa3ebd", "name": "Agriculture
III", "issuer": { "name": "Great Plains High School" },
"achievementType": "Course", "creditsAvailable": 0.500, "fieldOfStudy":
"AGRICULTURAL EDUCATION", "level": "11", "resultDescriptions": [ {
"name": "Term Grade", "resultType": "LetterGrade" } ] }, "recipient": {
"type": "id", "identity":
"urn:uuid:c110ee6b-938c-dc58-1a35-eff2e11587d8" }, "creditsEarned":
0.500, "term": "S2", "results": [ { "value": "A" } ] }, { "achievement":
{ "name": "English 11", "issuer": { "name": "Great Plains High School"
}, "achievementType": "Course", "creditsAvailable": 0.500,
"fieldOfStudy": "ENGLISH/LANGUAGE ARTS", "level": "11",
"resultDescriptions": [ { "name": "Term Grade", "resultType":
"LetterGrade" } ] }, "recipient": { "type": "id", "identity":
"urn:uuid:c110ee6b-938c-dc58-1a35-eff2e11587d8" }, "creditsEarned":
0.500, "term": "S1", "results": [ { "value": "B" } ] } ] } |

​