From: steve capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2023 3:18 PM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>; Drummond Reed (Gen) (drummond.reed@gendigital.com) <drummond.reed@gendigital.com>; Daniel Hardman (daniel.hardman@gmail.com) <daniel.hardman@gmail.com>; Anil John (anil.john@hq.dhs.gov) <anil.john@hq.dhs.gov>
Subject: Re: The Battle for the [Verifiable Credentials] Brand

Forgive this little stream of consciousness please..

I'd expect that uptake will sort out competition. Simplicity usually wins the day.  I note the "grand unified theory of trust" presentation that puts a lot of weight behind KERI. It could well be that I've simply not understood it properly but it seems to me that KERI adds a lot of complexity for very little value.  The complexity is rooted in the idea that portability of decentralised identifiers across ledgers (or other implementations) is fundamentally important and so everyone will want that. I dont understand why.  Feels like maybe there is confusion between identity (something permanent and immutable - embedded in my DNA) vs identifier (something transient, context specific, use it and throw it away if you want).  Trust is about linking identifiers to identity.  I can do that with hundreds of different identifiers, each with different lifespans and anchored to different technologies.  Why would I care whether a specific identifier is portable?  Just mint another one if, for some reason, I really care about the technology anchor.

Until I can understand a clear rationale for complexity of things like KERI I'll be sticking to the simplicity of did:web and it's like...

Kind regards,
Steve