Re: Outcome of 2023 Miami Verifiable Credentials WG Meeting

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM David Chadwick
<d.w.chadwick@truetrust.co.uk> wrote:
> This requires the following questions (at least) to be answered
>
> Can the former not be used for confirmation by the verifier or can it be used?

Yes, also good questions, David. It wasn't clear (to me, at least)
during the meeting when a Verifier should use one over the other. It
seems as if what's being proposed is that the Verifier should prefer
the confirmation methods to identity attributes. It's also not clear
what should be done when the information differs... portrait on
confirmationMethod is different from a property of the credential
subject. I expect confirmationMethod takes precedence, but that was
the slippery slope some voiced during the call about why this stuff
might not belong in credentialSubject.

> Does the former need to be duplicated in confirmationMethod before it can be used for confirmation?

Yes, also a good question. I guess we'll see what the answer to that
is when the PR is raised. :)

> What are the reasons (if any) that any subject attribute cannot be used for confirmation by a verifier regardless of whether a confirmationMethod for it exists or not.

Oliver, Paul, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the answer during the
meeting seemed to be "you put it in the confirmation method so that
verifiers have one place to check wrt. confirming that the identifier
binding is the same as the one that the issuer used"? Though, I was a
bit shaky on what happens from a liability perspective if you do/don't
use the property. My expectation was "nothing, a verifier's liability
doesn't shift wrt. the issuer when this property is or is not used"...
though I can't say I'm confident about that matching what other WG
Members took away from the session.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/