Re: Internet Centralization: What Can Standards Do?

Thanx Manu,
This question that has kept me occupied since almost a decade, with
C2B payments as the primary target.

However, since payments seem to be 99% about politics, basic questions like

           Why do merchants need my card number?

never get any attention.

A recent example is W3C's SPC
https://www.w3.org/TR/secure-payment-confirmation/
which indeed require users to type card data. Since this would make SPC
fairly hard to use, SPC (in reality) depends on that payment intermediaries
like Stripe hold such information so that you don't have to repeat it.
This idea obviously works better the fewer payment intermediaries there are.
Voila! CENTRALIZATION is the core of this W3C standard.  This also makes SPC
(again in reality) a very powerful tool for USER DATA AGGREGATION.

However, if you study the C2B payment use case a bit deeper it is pretty
clear that merchants rather need a confirmation that they are getting
paid, something only the payment network can provide.  But payment
intermediaries need card data, right?  Not necessarily; they need to
know to which bank to send the user-authorized payment request.

So how could this standard pass you may [rightfully] wonder? Well, the
SPC API does not handle card data itself; it is supposed to have been
dealt with in a preceding non-standardized step.

A Remaining Issue
DECENTRALIZATION is often non-trivial to accomplish from a technical
point of view.  For payments though, the core problem is that it
could radically affect business models and that's a BIG NO-NO.

There is a risk that this may turn out to be pretty universal.

Anders