RE: RWOT Holder Binding paper got published

I somewhat like the notion that the word ‘hints’ implies.

For example: Let’s say, as a verifier I have a claim in front of me but know nothing about the issuer of that claim AND it is very important to me that the claim be correct and accurate. As a verifier, I potentially have to take on a lot of work to understand who the issuer is, what sort of governance they operate under, how consistent they are at following their governance, how good is their internal process and data hygiene, what is their ability to indemnify me against errors and omissions on their part, etc. All of this ideally related specifically to the claim that was issued and not some other claim they might issue.

Option 1: Push a comprehensive set of metadata along with the claim so the verifier has everything they need to evaluate the (little ‘c’) context of the claim. This is useful for certain use cases and I’ve been talking with several people who are beginning to convince me that some of these use cases are significant enough to warrant the overhead.

Option 2: Assume the verifier has already performed due diligence regarding the issuer, evaluated the issuer’s ability to make the claim they have made and evaluated the risk the verifier is able to take on in accepting the claim – all activity external to this particular transaction. I think this will represent the bulk of the use cases out there, especially over the next 5 years or so. This is the way it mostly happens today and has been working well for literally generations.

Option 3: Surface ‘hints’ along with the claim that limits the amount of due diligence work a verifier must do outside of the transaction. TBH, I don’t know where to best draw the line of what to surface. An issuer ID is the most basic (and reliable) form of a ‘hint’ to the verifier to understand who issued the claim. Bracketed levels of assurance (e.g.l LOA1, LOA2, …) that are backed by well understood government or industry standard seems like another reasonable thing to include for some use cases, but certainly not all.

My final thought is that the need for metadata that supports the (little ‘c’) context of a particular (transaction) claim diminishes greatly the more a verifier accepts a particular verifiers claims. To the extent that over time is becomes mostly dead weight.

How do we best balance keeping the payload light and broadly useful while providing enough contextual data to help a verifier determine if they can trust an unknown (or untrusted) issuer?