Re: Standardization of OAuth2 server-to-server flows using DIF Presentation Exchange?

Traceability folks support what we call "OAuth Presentations"... to
distinguish them from their VC-API cousins.

- https://github.com/w3c-ccg/traceability-interop
- https://github.com/w3c-ccg/traceability-vocab

You can see the latest report runs here:
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/traceability-interop/reports/interoperability/

I would say what we are doing is not "vc-api" or "presentation exchange" in
the DIF context.

In general, "verifiable presentations" are extremely weakly defined making
interop testing very inconsistent, and often "securing mechanism specific".

For example see:

https://openid.net/specs/openid-4-verifiable-presentations-1_0.html

I don't know if anyone is implementing this kind of flow for M2M / machine
identity use cases... but that's what we have been wanting for a long
time... and why we don't use the current version of the vc api.

There is also:

https://identity.foundation/jwt-vc-presentation-profile/#profile

In general the community seems very fixated on "human in the loop"
presentation flows... which are almost completely useless for organization
/ cloud agent use cases where machines interact on behalf of users without
pestering them to confirm transactions.

At the most recent IETF, there seems to be a lot of interest in "client
credentials", "private key jwt" and "client attestation" auth modes for
OAuth.

It would be nice to see a similar level of interest in M2M / Machine
Identity originating verifiable presentation flows.

Regards,

OS

--

ORIE STEELE