Re: Open Wallet Foundation (and how it might fail)

Hi Manu,

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

There have been a lot of discussions about the best way to fund and organise the work of the OWF in the last couple of days, especially how we get started. An important caveat of the original proposal is around scoping and feature prioritisation. Who would decide what features the staff would develop first (VCs, AnonCreds, ISO mDL, SD-JWT, …)? A committee? I’m pretty sure that would not work.

I’m now perceiving a mind shift towards a community driven approach. The OWF should be open for anyone to contribute code and the prioritisation is pretty simple. Those who contribute code influence what the OWF will produce. There is a need for some governance, e.g. all projects need to adhere to the same principles (e.g. code quality & security). Since we are aiming for multi-format, multi-protocol wallets, I would also assume there will be joined work on a core design that wires different modules (e.g. formats & protocols) together.

Drummond Reed, Andre Kudra, and myself have drafted this proposal how to bootstrap and govern the technical work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X7K33COKOovExJS_Cw_vL1eLQNSej431OfNpTEtXh2g/edit#

@anyone on the list: please review and comment/propose changes.

The proposal aims at kickstarting a discussion among the people interested in the OWF, especially those intending to contribute.

Would you consider to contribute?

best regards,
Torsten.