Re: Seeking Parters for CSR (Collaborative Seed Recovery) of Identities

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 8:58 PM Harrison <harrison@spokeo.com> wrote:

> We are looking for an identity vendor, in particular an issuer of
>> credentials, to come on board as a sustaining sponsor to join with digital
>> assets and hardware companies that we already have working on the design.
>> Our goal is to ensure that digital identity gets an equal voice in this
>> architecture, allowing it to be even more helpful for our community as a
>> whole.
>

> Just curious, why would you need an identity issuer/vendor for
> Collaborative Seed Recovery?  Is it to leverage KBA (Knowledge-Based
> Authentication) for seed recovery, or is it for something else?

Good question. There are multiple use cases beyond end-user keys. Some
might want to leverage reliable recovery, such as issuers with high
availability keys. Other parties might want to offer assistance to
customers to hold non-custodial shares, or lower liability by spreading
risk among diverse partners.

And as you said, there are interesting problems KBA (Knowledge-Based
Authentication) for disaster recovery that maybe Apple can afford to do
when all else fails to recover an iCloud account, that smaller parties
can’t easily do alone.

If my only copy of my mDL, password-less auth, or some other important VC
is locked into the Apple platform and they block my recovery (say because I
reside in Russia where both sides are banning each other), what do I do?

If there is distributed & interoperable way to not to have customers locked
solely into platform recovery, I would hope there would be other parties
interested in that as well.

We have added to our RWOT topic paper this poster as a pdf high-level
summary:

https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot11-the-hague/blob/master/advance-readings/posters/collaborative-seed-recovery-csr-poster.pdf

— Christopher Allen