Re: Novel (to me) architecture for control of personal data

Steve, the consent manager is an Account Aggregator (AA) in this ecosystem.
AAs are regulated by the central bank - the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
The Financial Information Users (FIUs) generally pay per
consent/transaction - the amount is not fixed by RBI. It is left to
the market.

Refer to the official site for more details: https://api.rebit.org.in/

IMO, substantial trust is placed on AAs when a Financial Information User
(FIU) fetches financial data from a Financial Information Provider (FIP - a
bank, for example).
Ephemeral keys are used per data fetch between FIU and FIP. ECDH using
Curve25519 is mandatory.

There's a central registry of FIPs and FIUs maintained by the non-profit
organization, Sahamati - https://sahamati.org.in/.
This is indeed an interesting model that works at India scale.

The data request from FIU to an FIP via AA is documented here:
https://swagger-ui.rebit.org.in/?url=https://specifications.rebit.org.in/api_specifications/account_aggregator/FIP_1_1_3.yaml#/Data%20Flow/post_FI_request
This is the context where I think an FIU trusts AAs because the former
exposes the initial key material it wants to share with the FIP for
subsequent cryptographic operations (signing as well as data encryption).

This text (by a licensed AA) offers more details :
https://docs.setu.co/data/account-aggregator/encryption

Regards
Devi Prasad