Re: Verifiable Credentials as Authorization Anti-Pattern (was Re: Funded Deployments of Verifiable Credentials - framework for meta-credentials)

Open ID seems to be doing fine using JWT for both id_token and access_token
s... With far more adoption than verifiable credentials or semantic object
capabilities.

The arguments against allowing for a single standard to be used multiple
ways don't make sense to me.

Especially given the success of JOSE / COSE / OIDC.

Specifying claims is the job of the issuer, interpreting them is the job of
the verifier.

Telling an issuer that they can't specify claims that only they will
verify, but they can specify claims that mostly a 3rd party will verify...
Does not make sense.

Forbidding verifiable credentials from being capabilities feels like
competition suppression packaged as "a community that knows better,
protecting users from themselves"...

It reminds me of Apple refusing to implement web standards or mDoc only
supporting drivers licenses and vaccination credentials.

It feels like being tricked into buying an entire different system based on
semantic preferences that make very little sense, and that can easily be
changed if the community realizes that they are responsible for creating
those restrictions in the first place...

As the wise Morpheus once said: "Free your mind".

Regards,

OS