Re: Apple and Google's Mobile Document Request API

On Mon, 2022-09-05 at 15:55 -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
>  Unfortunately, we have multiple examples (above) of there
> being a focus on point solutions rather than generalized solutions.
> It's difficult to determine if this is being done on purpose, or by
> accident.

There are a lot of smart people in these larger companies.
They know exactly what they are doing.

In theory the role of the staff contacts and W3C team is to fight off
such behaviours, but in practice it's rarely possible, even where the
staff contacts have the necessary political insights.

Sometimes, too, you have to ask what would happen if the work was not
done on the specification. A good example is the PICS work, which
although it ended up pretty much unused, successfully headed off some
rather severe legislation.

In the other direction, the complexity of Web Services helped to sell a
proprietary mainframe-based competitor into governments (and some big
iron along with it that became part of government infrastructure). And
i don't believe the people representing the mainframe vendor at W3C had
the faintest idea that was why they were being given so many complex
use cases.

If you go back further, to the 1980s, the US government decided that
only "open" operating systems with multiple vendors could be purchased.
So Apple ported Unix to their hardware, even knowing pretty much no-one
would use it, but would use MacOS instead.

So sometimes a "failed standard" is really a success in an unexpected
way, although most often a success for vendors, not users.

liam

--
Liam Quin - https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Cancer gofundme https://www.gofundme.com/f/5u9v7-every-little-helps