From: Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Sent: Saturday, September 3, 2022 10:28 AM
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Apple and Google's Mobile Document Request API

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

A few thoughts:

Apple and Google have no incentive to open this kind of protocol up, and W3C has no incentive to stop them from doing what they are doing... The W3C is not a regulator, and in my experience regulators are not even attending W3C WGs, or commenting on activities related to competition in this space... Beyond that, Apple and Google may have folks on the board of directors for W3C before this incubation work even finishes.

There are legitimate use cases for device bound human identity... And device identity, and a lot of them require interfaces like this, or that are a superset of this.

Let's document some of the use cases for such an API.

A few interesting ones:

1. Prove you are an accredited investor.
2. Prove you are vaccinated (recently).
3. Prove you are eligible to purchase drugs / alcohol.
4. Prove your status regarding criminal history (sex offender, convicted felon, etc).
5. Prove you are eligible to vote.
6. Prove you have an active software license.
7. Prove you are TSAPre / Global entry authorized.
8. Prove your dog is vaccinated.
9. Prove you have a security clearance.
10. Prove you are a citizen.
11. Prove you are a member of a protected class.
12. Prove you are under witness protection.
13. Prove you have not recently published misinformation.
14. Prove you have no recent CSAM alerts.
15. Prove you have an account with Apple/Google, or are using an approved device.
16. Prove you have / have not recently traveled to Israel / Palestine.

I'm ok with many of these capabilities, and some of them reflect credentials that we all deal with today...

The question is really, for other device + os combinations... Such a Qualcomm + Android or Windows + Qualcomm, or Arm + Linux, Intel + Linux, AMD + Linux...

Will these platforms be treated equally?

Will the owners / controllers / data subjects of these devices be treated equally?

Will chrome, edge, brave, safari, firefox support "bring your own device" or "bring your own wallet"?

Will TSAPre become Google or Apple Precheck?

Will the state department require an Apple or Google phone for international travel?

Building an open ecosystem, is far less profitable than building a choke point and adding credential types one by one...

As Manu noted, the market pressure for Google and Apple to do this is enormous... They are basically required to take this route.

I don't think this API can be stopped, the best we can hope for, is that it can be made as open and interoperable as possible, so that a healthy competitive market can thrive and grow.

If competition in this space is not protected, consumers will awake one day to find that Google and Apple have essentially merged into something akin to sci-fi cyberpunk mega corporations we all love: Weyland-Yutani, Cyberdyne Systems, Tyrell Corporation, Wallace Corporation! : )

I love Apple and Google... I don't want to see them become hated for smothering an open ecosystem for digital identity, credentials and payments...

I hope mDoc and mDoc request API can be made to support an open world model, where currency, identifiers and credentials about subjects can be controlled by subjects on devices chosen by subjects... Where the subjects have more than just 2 choices...

This is an observable property for these technologies... You can see how it's going for browsers and mobile operating systems...

If we are talking about what a chrome only web is looking like now... 10 years from now, will we be talking about chrome only identity, payments and credentials?

It's time for Microsoft, Amazon, Meta, Tesla, Tencent, Samsung, Alibaba, Oracle and others to embrace an open world model.

To compete to provide services without vendor lock... To work with Apple and Google, to protect a healthy competitive market.

I hope this API and the data models it moves are made open by design, out of respect for consumers, and not by the force of regulators.

Regards,

OS