Re: [EXTERNAL] [jfraichot@learningmachine.com] Re: Can CHAPI survive Big Tech? (was Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols)

Hi all,

I’ve been catching up on CHAPI and I also a few questions lingering, but first thanks to anyone involved in the development process, it is a very smooth and easy experience to set CHAPI up. My only feedback would be to provide some Typescript types to make it easier still to figure out the available APIs and parameters’ shape.

> - Do issuers, verifiers, and wallets have to agree on the same provider?
> - Does this provider have to be authn.io?

Indeed, from somewhere in the conversation, Manu you mention that authn.io should be the official relying central piece to CHAPI and that it will belong not to Digital Bazaar anymore but to a group.
What do you mean in those conversations by:

  *   Going to production by the end of the year? Isn’t authn.io ready for use at this point?
  *   Could you elaborate on the shape of the entity that will manage authn.io? Or at least is there a video/presentation/demonstration/discussion to which you could point me to?
  *   I understand the risk of letting organizations run their own mediator piece, but I feel having a single point of failure could also be problematic. Why should authn.io be the only official mediator?
  *   On the github page: https://github.com/credential-handler/authn.io#credential-mediator, it mentions: “This software plays the Credential Mediator role described in Credential Handler API<https://w3c-ccg.github.io/credential-handler-api>“. But I was not able to find a section describing the Mediator (at least with ctrl+F for “mediator” in the page). Did I miss it? Are there resources to which I could refer for a better philosophical understanding of the Mediator need, where it’s coming from, etc?
  *   I started digging into the code but I see the implementation is quite rich already so I got a bit lost. But “it is a browser-tab-to-browser-tab protocol”. I am trying to figure out how storage works - is there somewhere that explains how the Mediator works under the hood? I’d like to get up to speed on the technical side.

> It is also possible to run authn.io purely as a Service Worker -- that is,
> once you hit the website once to load the polyfill, you never have to hit the
> site again modulo software upgrades).

  *   Related to the previous question, this aroused my curiosity. Is there more explanation on how  to get that setup somewhere?

Thank you,

Best

Julien Fraichot