From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2022 3:20 PM
To: Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com>; public-credentials@w3.org
Subject: Re: Cryptographic Peer-reviewing Solutions

If the reason for the cryptography is to support restricted access to a limited set of individuals, then PDF (ISO 32000-1) supports (has for about 20 years now) the ability to encrypt a PDF to one or more X.509 certificates - thus enabling only those users with the matching private keys (and associated passphrases) to open the PDF.   The PDF can also have various digital rights applied, so that the author could choose to (for example) allowing commenting.

Leonard