Re: Saying yes to making @context optional

Hi Steve,

+1 on LD, enabling knowledge graphs and self-describing data. CoO FTA
variants are a great example.

Also a huge +1 that the world needs less vocabularies, not more. I'm
obliged to underscore that w3id.org/traceability is exactly about a)
combining the powers of JSON Schema and JSON-LD, and b) referencing
existing terms, not (re-)inventing new ones.

From https://w3id.org/traceability/#vocabulary-linkage:
*"... These URIs will generally point at existing, established
vocabularies. Only when no applicable vocabularies can be found are terms
defined as part of the traceability-vocab spec; these are considered
exceptional cases."*

While it isn't always possible to find existing term definitions, the vast
majority reference schema.org, GS1 and indeed UN/CEFACT.

On the UN/CEFACT vocab-side, IMO the most productive next step is to start
deprecating terms which already have established definitions. For example,
https://vocabulary.uncefact.org/GeographicalCoordinate shouldn't be
"competing" with https://schema.org/GeoCoordinates. While
https://vocabulary.uncefact.org/TransportMeans might not be pretty for
better and worse it's a genuine UN/CEFACT term.
In both cases we have to balance stability vs. perfection - looking forward
to this next phase of the UN vocab work!

Cheers,
Nis