Re: Google Browser/FedCM team exploring native APIs for CHAPI

Doesn't allow hardware crypto support unless the browsers enable it by implementing CHAPI as far as I'm aware

________________________________
From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2022 2:52:35 PM
To: public-credentials@w3.org <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Google Browser/FedCM team exploring native APIs for CHAPI

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 3:34 PM David Chadwick wrote:
> Just to note that OpenID4VCI has always enabled individuals to choose their wallet in the cross device flow because the Issuer shows a QR code to the user, who chooses which wallet app to scan it into.

Sure, but that's missing the point. What CHAPI does is enable open
wallet selection no matter if you're using a native app or a web app,
no 2nd device necessary.

The "wallet selection handwave" that was being referred to was this
insistence that to have open wallet selection, and get rid of NASCAR
screens, you need a second device. Except for MFA flows, many of us
don't regularly swap between transferring an interaction from our
laptop, to our mobile, and back. Even MFA flows are fairly annoying if
you have to do them regularly.

What CHAPI enables is open wallet selection, web and native, without
needing to pick up a 2nd device... thus keeping you in the flow of
whatever website you're on. That there is now interest in making it
native in the browser could open up a variety of other possibilities
like seamless flows between web-to-native-and-back.

That's what people are getting excited about; it's a better experience.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/