Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

Credentials that include a biometric can be self-verifying whether they are
physical or digital without requiring a wallet. In these cases
chain-of-custody is irrelevant and coercion risks are mitigated.

For a (counter) example, the recent announcement by Arizona DMV and Apple
depends on a certified app to grab a video selfie for issue and to
facilitate verification.
https://www.axios.com/arizona-lets-you-put-your-drivers-license-on-your-iphone-c69eca0a-6e2b-4f81-8a5a-0a8ec618227a.html

This certified app that binds the selfie to other verifiable components of
the DMV credential including the biometric in the credential can be
anyone’s. It could be operated by the DMV (in person), it could be on the
phone of the subject’s friend, or it could be on the phone of the subject.
Once the digital credential is signed by DMV, it can be emailed to the
subject or anywhere the subject tells them.

How the subject presents the self-verifying digital biometric DMV
credential in-person or online does not have to be tied to the app used to
create it. The verifier decides if they will verify the credential
in-person using an app they control or if they will allow a certified app
to present the credential, along with a selfie or a signed challenge,
online.

My point is that chain-of-custody and resulting coercion issues can be
mitigated by allowing the subject to move a digital credential among
wallets and certified apps are only needed for interacting with a biometric
as part of the presentation.

The relationship between the certified app(s) and a wallet is, presumably,
that the wallet has a HSM to hold the private key associated with the
subject of the self-verifying digital credential. The HSM is used to sign a
presentation.

To achieve non-repudiation, control of the private key in the HSM should be
linked to a biometric. If the (DID) identifier in the self-verifying
credential is the same or provably related to the private key in the HSM,
then remote presentation of the credential can be non-repudiate. An
impostor or a delegate who happens to hold the credential or a copy of it
would not be able to make a valid presentation.

Coercion is mitigated when the holding of a self-verifying credential does
not have to be linked to a certified app. For its part, the HSM associated
with a wallet does not have to be certified by either the issuer or the
verifier. The choice of how to store credentials and how to sign
presentations are independent of each other.

Correlation is avoided if the HSM can substitute a linked identifier in the
presentation of a self-verifying credential. If the issued credential is
just a signed combination of a biometric and some attributes then
correlation is a risk associated with the attributes of self-verifying
digital credentials and can be managed by on-demand issuance.

Adrian