Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

Squinting away the details, the deep assumption behind OpenID Connect is
that we need a standard way for institutions to authenticate and authorize
people. SIOP+VCs updates the mechanism, but not the goal.

Of course this is a worthy objective. We want institutions to have a
standard way to authenticate and authorize. We have plenty of evidence that
this is economically valuable, and it is a perfectly reasonable thing to
do. However, I consider this framing to be disastrous, because of what it
leaves out. Notice that it is one way: institutions authN/Z people, but
they don't propose to play by the same rules.

The entire phishing industry exists because institutions don't authenticate
themselves the same way people do. If every email and SMS (notice I picked
2 contexts other than web, but that are HUGE) that purported to come from
Acme Corp had to actually be signed by Acme's DID keys, phishing would go
away. Furthermore, institutions would cease to be able to unilaterally
dictate terms of service, would feel much greater pressure on the Hobson's
choices they give to users, would feel some of the friction that users feel
today when an institution upgrades a server or invalidates a cookie, etc,
etc.

If we standardize and promote OIDC+SIOP+VCs as the standard way for
institutions to authN/Z users in web contexts, and only for that, then I
think we suck all the wind out of the sails of a standard that would
actually correct this imbalance. Not because there's some fatal flaw in the
API, but because it's teaching the world, yet again, to treat users and
institutions unequally.