Re: Ideals meet Implementations - Blockchains, NFTs, Decentralization, Oh My!

I may be over-parsing Kyle Den Hartog's note, however, I am concerned that
his comments seem to equate "transfer of credentials" with "delegation." I
believe that these are two very distinct matters, rather than just two
terms for the same thing.

Delegation typically means something like "the potentially limited transfer
of some right or capability while retaining accountability for the outcome
of its use." One can delegate a right or capability, but not the
responsibility for the consequences of its use. If both the right and the
accountability are transferred, then a simple transfer has occurred, not a
delegation. This is why I have argued, in previous discussions, that
delegations should not be performed by transferring VCs. In order to ensure
that the connection between the delegated VC and the delegator are
maintained, a delegation should be instantiated as a new, distinct
"delegation" VC which refers to that VC which represents the right or
capability which is being delegated. The act of delegation would not modify
or invalidate the original VC, only annotate it by reference. Additionally,
the delegating VC should typically include some description of the
delegation's limitations. For instance, how long the delegation is to
remain in force, or the scope of the delegation. And, VCs for things which
might be delegated should have a means of specifying whether delegation is
permitted and, if only partial delegations is permitted, what limits may
exist on the ability to delegate.

Some examples:

   - I may hold a VC which is a license to operate vehicles of some type.
   Typically, such a VC can be neither transferred nor delegated.
   - I may hold a VC which establishes my ownership of some specific
   vehicle:
      - I could "rent" that VC to you, via a delegation, and thus delegate
      to you the right to operate and maintain the vehicle as though
it were your
      own. Nonetheless, I remain the owner of the vehicle and continue to
      bear the responsibilities associated with its ownership. Additionally, I
      may limit the delegation by requiring that you not operate the vehicle
      outside some specified geographic area and also that you may not
      re-delegate the delegated rights to anyone else (i.e. only you can drive
      it.).
      - I may "sell" the VC to you, via a transfer, and thus transfer to
      you both the rights associated with ownership as well as the
      responsibilities. Upon the conclusion of such a transfer,I am no
longer the
      owner of the vehicle.

I believe that it is important that we clearly distinguish between
"transfers" and "delegations." They are very different things. Both involve
transfers of rights, but delegations neither transfer responsibilities nor
sever the link between the right and its pre-delegation holder.

bob wyman