Re: FedId CG at W3C and GNAP

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 at 21:33, Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Melvin, for raising consensus as the motive of SDOs. Human rights,
> as in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, can be considered a
> consensus at least to the extent "universal" is a meaningful qualifier.
>
> My point is that the consensus around a dual use technology has to be
> driven by recognizing, popularizing, and mitigating the risks of a
> technology.
>
> I'm dismayed with the tone of "Inserting your preferred non-technical
> ethical agenda...". And the implication of "vector for dissent"
> implies consensus can be achieved by excluding dissenters.

Thanks for pointing this out

Wrote the note quickly, tone would have been better served in 3rd person,
will aim for that in future :)

Dissent is not excluded, it's important, as it provides a safety net.
Normally the aim is to satisfy dissent and legitimate objections.

However, top-down ethics need to be limited to things that have near
universal agreement, to be useful