From: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 12:42 PM
To: Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Cc: Justin P Richer <jricher@mit.edu>; W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: FedId CG at W3C and GNAP

Thanks, Orie for starting this important thread. I will defer the technical comments entirely to Justin and others.

From my perspective, the failure of SIOP in the wild needs to be understood and rectified whether it involves GNAP or not. I tried to participate in FedId CG from this perspective but quickly realized that they really were only scoped to federated cases and trying to introduce self-sovereign perspective in that CG would be torture for all involved.

I would also hope that Sam Smith contributes to this thread. His perspective on decentralization seems important.

The other thing I've been trying to understand in the context of self-sovereign authentication is biometrics.

* Facial recognition is almost free and works well enough to be entirely passive and ambient for many use-cases. Like license plate scanners for people. Not necessarily a good thing.
* Iris biometrics work even better and with appropriate hardware can be almost passive. How do we control that in a DID context?
* Palm biometrics (as introduced by Amazon) are less passive and somewhat expensive but could also enter widespread use.
* Local biometrics like Apple FaceID is already used to authenticate into Apple Wallet. Will it be used as an ankle bracelet analog? The answer seems to be yes, because that's how Apple Watch is used to interact with the wallet.
* DNA readers get cheaper all the time...

Notice also that dealing with these issues is a matter of human rights, not ethics.

I think self-sovereign authentication might be a worthwhile CCG work item.

- Adrian