Re: DID methods as W3C standards - a happy compromise?

On 22.02.22 15:41, Manu Sporny wrote:
> Now, a generalized HTTP API for DID operations... that might actually have a
> fighting chance at W3C and result in broader interoperability than just
> picking a few winners. I believe Markus is already working on some variation
> of that now.

At DIF we have been working on a specification for "DID Registration"
which tries to define the "other three" DID operations that are not DID
Resolution, i.e. create, update, deactivate:
https://identity.foundation/did-registration/

Here the approach is also to define abstract interfaces that don't
mandate any specific architecture, but can be implemented and deployed
e.g. via an HTTP(S) binding.

It's still work in progress, since this is quite a bit more complex than
DID Resolution, and you have to address topics such as key management,
state changes, etc. There are also some interesting possibilities to
potentially integrate with other specifications such as WebKMS or
Universal Wallet.

Markus