Re: DID methods as W3C standards - a happy compromise?

Hello Steve,

Standardizing did:key and did:web is something that could potentially be
done in a future DID WG, feel free to post comments here:
https://github.com/w3c/did-wg-charter/issues/15
https://github.com/w3c/did-wg-charter/issues/16

You say that some DID methods "clearly have no relationship to a
specific technology". I would argue that ALL DID methods have a
relationship to a specific technology, but that technology is not
necessarily a blockchain. The landscape of DID methods isn't really
binary "with blockchain" or "without blockchain". It's much more diverse
than that, and there are many different forms and combinations of
"underlying technologies".

Providing a decision tree to help users decide sounds great, maybe
that's a potential work item for the CCG? :)

The DID Rubric can perhaps help with that:
https://www.w3.org/TR/did-rubric/

Markus