Re: The "CBOR Everywhere" Project

I believe the IETF first came into the discussion because some (including myself) feel the W3C/CCG are too narrowly focused on "Web 2.0/3.0" technologies when they think of decentralized specifications. ...very different and more important than looking for more compact representations for VCs.

________________________________
From: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2022 3:07:15 AM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>; Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>; Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>; W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: The "CBOR Everywhere" Project

No - of course we can work on an improved v2 while promoting the implementation of v1

It was more the narrative about a parallel alternative in IETF that does the same thing but better because it’s more compact etc.  in my view the business benefits of an interoperable verifiable trust architecture are orders of magnitude larger than the cost differences between more compact / less compact implementations that I struggle to understand why I should care.  I’d rather see one standard with defect uptake than two competing ones that hold back uptake because implementers are waiting to see which one wins..

Steven Capell
Mob: 0410 437854