Re: Facing Architectural Challenges in VC 2.0

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 6:37 PM Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <
mwherman@parallelspace.net> wrote:

> Christopher, from a practical perspective, any suggestions on how to carry
> this discussion forward in a manageable way? For example, do you want to
> open a separate GitHub issue for each of the Challenges you’ve identified?
> I don’t think having everyone reply to this long email is very practical.

I'm not sure. One of the problems is which community? Which repo?

I know that my post is intimidating to read, follow and respond to, but as
these problems are at some level related to which community wants to
address these topics?

Thus my first question is: Is there sufficient interest in this community
or the VC-WG to look further into these?

The VC-WG will likely find these issues distracting, and if they narrow
their goals to a JSON-LD-focused spec, that could be great — it is
achievable. Then we don't distract them and we can move these discussions
elsewhere.

But if there's a consensus that the VC-WG needs one data model for
credentials, for JSON-LD & JWT & CBOR & other needs, then the discussions
could be moved to the VC-WG. But so far, I've not seen an emerging
consensus there, and trying to address these architectural issues will
likely mean they will not be able to ship improvements to VC/JSON-LD at all.

However, if there is ultimately a consensus to solve these architectural
issues or find some way to split the problems up, we could move the
discussions appropriately. If that includes WG work, I would also encourage
my non-W3C member sponsors to do so as well by becoming members of the W3C.

I have posted one issue to the VC-WG's vc-data-model, on the topic of layer
violations: issue #986 https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/986

-- Christopher Allen