Re: Seeking Support for an Elision-Focused Encoding Format for VCs, VPs & DIDs

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 1:10 PM Christopher Allen <
ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com> wrote:

> *TL;DR* Is there interest in the W3C for a CBOR alternative to the JSON
> JWT/JSON-LD formats for VCs/VPs & DIDs to focus on support for
> elision/redaction?

We have submitted "The Envelope Structured Data Format" to the IETF as an
Internet-Draft, and it is now available at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcnally-envelope/

ABSTRACT: The envelope protocol specifies a structured format for
hierarchical binary data focused on the ability to transmit it in a
privacy-focused way. Envelopes are designed to facilitate "smart documents"
and have a number of unique features including easy representation of a
variety of semantic structures, a built-in Merkle-like digest tree,
deterministic representation using CBOR, and the ability for the holder of
a document to selectively encrypt or elide specific parts of a document
without invalidating the document structure including the digest tree, or
any cryptographic signatures that rely on it.

We welcome interest in the W3C Credential Community Group if these
capabilities have utility here.

— Christopher Allen