Re: DIDs and Vanilla JWS with GitHub Actions

Software supply chain, like physical supply chain, has various stages, and
each stage is a place where an attacker might have gotten a compromise.

I am interested in "author signatures" but also in "package repos" and
binaries...

I've been following the discussions in OpenSSF and Sigstor regarding
container signing, and wanted to see what building on top of off the shelf
components might look like for npm instead of containers...

Each language / stack has its own version of this problem... If you wanted
to verify the full supply chain of a polyglot project, you would
pretty quickly feel frustrated with the lack of coordination on this
subject.

If you are interested in this topic I suggest joining https://openssf.org there
are a number of initiatives underway there, many of which are reinventing
parts of DIDs and VCs... for example SLSA has the concepts of "type" and
"predicate" but does not use JSON-LD and is probably not going to be
understood automatically by search engines.

- https://slsa.dev
- https://sigstore.dev

All of these projects struggle from the "how do I authenticate and
provenance domain specific data, without creating domain specific
cryptography" problem.

... Many of them are opting to create domain specific cryptography, and use
case specific metadata, which raises the cost for end users to verify the
full supply chain...

.... assuming that this is not going to end in a winner take-all market...
based on their work : )

I would prefer to see open standards, not just open source, and solutions
that embrace decentralization, market competition and diversity.

It might be a utopian dream to hope that Go, Python and TypeScript modules
could be verified using DIDs and off the shelf crypto, but together we can
make it a reality, if we are patient enough with standards politics.

OS