From: Mahmoud Alkhraishi <mahmoud@mavennet.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2022 11:27 AM
To: Morgan Hedges <morgan.hedges@gosource.com.au>; Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Cc: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>; Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>; Kerri Lemoie <klemoie@concentricsky.com>; W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>; public-vc-edu@w3.org
Subject: Re: VC Evidence Discussion

Hi All,

As Orie mentioned we've been discussing evidence and its usage in supply chain use cases. One of the use cases that we're hoping it would tackle is references to other Credentials.
As an example, a credential that represents a transportation event may need to reference one or more other credentials, like a Bill of Lading Credential or a Product Credential, and you may the use cases Orie outlined:
1. You might want to change that data behind the URI without breaking the signature
2.  You might want the signature to break if the data behind it changes
3. You might want to add new data behind the URI after the credential was issued
4. The data behind the URI might be several orders of magnitude larger than the credential (like a large ML model / or training set).

The options as I currently see them are:

  1.  Use the evidence property on the transportation event
  2.  Use the Related Link property
  3.  Use hash links in either the evidence or related link properties.

for both 1 and 2, we have the ability to:

  1.  change the data behind the URI without breaking the signature including adding data or pointing to a newer context
  2.  include data in the evidence property itself that will you want to be sure does not change, like a GTIN or SKU, I believe you cannot do the same for the Related Link property but I'm happy to be corrected on this.
  3.  not include large data sets in the credential
  4.  avoid the necessity of knowing how to process hash links

For point 3 we have the ability to:

  1.  be sure the data the credential points to will not change.
  2.  not include large data sets in the credential

I'm personally leaning to point 2 looking at the current state of the evidence property, but I think a fully interoperable, and well-documented evidence property might end up being the better solution in the long run.

Regards,
Mahmoud Alkhraishi
Director of Engineering