Re: does the CCG have any thoughts about possible changes to W3C itself?

On 4/9/22 9:42 AM, Daniel Hardman wrote:
> I read this article and thought it raised interesting questions. Perhaps
> those who've been doing W3C stuff the deepest and longest can opine a bit?

For those of you on the W3C Advisory Committee (462 people total), you've
already seen that the article has stirred up a hornets nest. :)

A couple of things to note:

1) The original article contained at least 13 factual errors. Reader beware. :(

2) The W3C Advisory Board came to talk with CCG about the W3C Legal Entity in
February. If you want a more accurate source of information, that CCG meeting
was transcribed[1].

3) There is a podcast that accompanies the article that is more nuanced in its
message -- the article feels kinda click-bait-ey (and its working!). CCGs work
on VCs and DIDs are directly called out at 16:10 minutes into the podcast[2]. :)

4) The proposals for W3C Legal Entity are public, on Github... including the
different governance models being contemplated[3].

Fundamentally, the article saying "there is no actual solution in sight" feels
a bit disingenuous. There are multiple subcommittees, weekly meetings, their
working documents[4] are available to all W3C Members, and the governance
models being contemplated are public[3].

The *W3C Member elected* W3C Advisory Board are actively working the
problem... and they're good people, some of whom I've known for years and
trust, that care deeply about the future of the Web and W3C.

I know it sounds cliche to say you believe all the critical problems will be
solved because you believe in the people involved, but there it is -- the
summary of how I think W3C will survive this.

As for changes to the way W3C creates standards[5] -- I expect very little to
change; those processes have been refined over the course of 25+ years...
they're not about to be thrown out or massively rewritten. They go through
regular refinement with public input[6].

Is that the sort of opining you were hoping for, Daniel?

-- manu

[1]https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2022-02-08/
[2]https://www.adexchanger.com/podcast/the-big-story/the-big-story-who-will-run-the-w3c/#more-192770
[3]https://github.com/w3c/le-governance/