Re: Principal Authority – new article on Wyoming law defining Digital Identity

I think we can simplify the language, and make things much more
understandable, if we clearly distinguish between:

   - Identity Management, which is the discipline of determining which
   distinct entities exist and how they will be recognized. (i.e.
   Authentication)
   - Rights Management, which determines what identified entities may do in
   various contexts. (i.e. Authorization)

These two sets of issues are very much related at the same time that they
are orthogonal.

I'm concerned about phrases like "projecting the will (agency?) of an
authority ... through a proxy" since the verb ("project") ascribes the
action to the originating authority when it is, in fact, the proxy who
acts. We may consider the action of the proxy to have the same effect as
though it was the authority who acted, but, we shouldn't lose sight of the
fact that it is the proxy, not the authority, who actually acts. Even
though the proxy may be permitted to exercise rights which are associated
with the authority, the proxy does not "become" the authority. (A proxy
benefits from one or more of the authorities' rights, not from the
authorities' identity.) The interesting "Rights Management" questions that
arise with proxies are things like "What right was granted?" or "How and
when was the proxy granted that right?" These questions are independent of
the identity of either the proxy or the authority.

bob wyman