Re: Principal Authority – new article on Wyoming law defining Digital Identity

The phrase "a showing of the efficacy of any security procedure" sends
shivers down my spine.

The unintended human rights consequences of a law as broad and
underspecified as this could be huge. Imagine how many things
(surveillance, data aggregation) are limited only by the inefficiency and
inaccuracy of legacy identity. Now, introduce a bunch of techies that make
these things orders of magnitude more "efficacious" without any obvious
mitigations.

I expect the counter-argument to be that efficacious security will
contribute to efficacious privacy as the mitigation. However, hope is not a
strategy and this law says nothing about either privacy or human rights.

A law like this must only be introduced in the context of privacy and human
rights, rather than security. Is this really what we had in mind as a
self-sovereign identity?

- Adrian