Re: Mozilla Formally Objects to DID Core

I completely agree with Christopher—who by the way was the one who proposed
DID methods as the solution to not forcing one way of doing DIDs but
instead enabling the market to innovate. The goal has always been for the
most successful DID methods to rise to the top by actually providing what
the market needs (which is also the point of the DID Rubric
<https://w3c.github.io/did-rubric/>—let the market make its own decision).

Now, here's the REAL irony. Mozilla and others are pointing to the URI spec
and existing URI schemes as the precedent without recognizing that in in
section 9.11 <https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#dids-as-enhanced-urns> of the
DID spec, we specifically compare the DID spec to the *URN spec*, RFC 8141
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8141>. In fact we deliberately
patterned the ABNF for DIDs <https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#did-syntax>
after the ABNF for URNs—and patterned DID method names after URN
namespaces. And we set up a registry for the exactly the same way RFC 8141
establishes a registry of URN namespaces
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xhtml>.

Now: guess how many URN namespaces have been registered with IANA?

*SEVENTY*. Count em.
<https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xhtml>

I don't see anyone complaining about interoperability of URN namespaces.
Amd RFC 8141 was published over four years ago.

=Drummond