Re: New VC-API architectural overview

Joe, hi -

I'm just sharing this as an anecdote, from the commercial world. It's
not an objection - just a comment.

The Verifiable Credentials Data Model does indeed define three
fundamental roles: the Issuer, the Holder and the Verifier.  We've
always had trouble with the last two terms and instead use 'Recipient'
and 'Relying Party'.  The term verifier in our context refers to a
computational process - what the VC API document describes as an app.
As for apps, we have an Issuer App, a Viewer App and a Verifier App.
The Viewer and Verifier Apps are used either by the recipient or the
relying party and occasionally by the Issuer.

I do understand that this approach glosses over important differences
between bearer, subject and custodian.  But these usually boil down to a
relying party's dilemma, ie- how does the bearer of a VC prove that they
are the subject or a valid custodian? There are technical solutions such
as ZKP or Paypal verification (the ability to spend from a wallet
referenced in a VC), but most relying parties would conflate the
bearer/subject/custodian term as VC Recipient and just (naively) assume
that Verifier Apps take care of these technicalities.

One further note, our Issuer App is multi-tenanted and supports multiple
Producers engaged by a single Issuer.  Example use cases would be
Clinics operating under a Health Ministry, and Schools operating under a
University.  The term 'Producer' does not exist in the VC lexicon, but
the function does.  A Producer is simply a delegated Issuer role.  The
Producer role also aligns with the well-understood GDPR terms: Data
Controller and Data Processor.

We think it's important to identify both Issuer and Producer as actors
in the VC document.

Regards, Bill Claxton (williamc@nextid.com)
LinkedIn, Facebook, Telegram, Slack, Skype, Twitter or Gmail: wmclaxton
SG Voice, Text or Whatsapp: +65-9012-4327
US Voice, Text or Voicemail: +1-415-797-7348