Re: New Zealand - W3C VC/DID based Vaccine Pass, Verifiers ...

Hi,

thanks for sharing Anil,
and congratz to NZ for building on an open stack.

A question also from my end:

On 11/11/21 6:23 AM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> - Interesting how the pass contains givenName, familyName, dob, and no
> other claims.

I am also curious about this point.
This means the pass does not contain the information about how a person
achieved their status (vaccinated/recovered/tested.., and how long ago),
just that they do?
This makes sense, although the format is called "PublicCovidPass"[1], it
seems is is only covering the "My Vaccine Pass" [2] use case right now.
I guess this is the case because the (planned?) restrictions in NZ are
limited to whether someone is vaccinated or not, and does not care about
other factors, correct?
On the other hand this means there is no potentially sensitive medical
data in the credential, so a trade of for privacy.
Additionally, this basically means the policy about who is able to enter
a venue is left to the issuer, and not the verifier?

And a second comment:
In the documentation [3] is says that the passes for international
travel will "initially follow the EUDCC standards developed by the
European Union". While I believe that this makes sense, it is
interesting that NZ is building a second system in addition to their
internal system, although the internal system builds on open formats ...

[1] https://nzcp.covid19.health.nz/#publiccovidpass
[2] https://github.com/minhealthnz/nzcovidpass-spec#my-vaccine-pass
[3] https://github.com/minhealthnz/nzcovidpass-spec#passes

Best,