Re: Call for DID Method implementations

(adding fellow btcr authors/implementers)

Thanks for taking the initiative on this, Manu. It does seem like a good
way to clean up the method registry.

I looked at the instructions to submit and concluded the May 25 deadline is
too ambitious. We did the bulk of our work on BTCR against an earlier
version of the DID spec, and it's changed a lot in between. This means we
need to clean up our method spec, implementations, etc.

Dan, Ryan, and Christopher are actively working on BTCR -- just different
aspects (like getting it to work with wallets, latest BIPs, etc), so the
lack of current DID spec conformance doesn't imply anything about lack of
interest / support.

For BTCR and other DID methods in a similar state -- which may be
especially the case when implementations aren't supported by commercial
interests -- establishing an overly aggressive deadline is exclusionary and
definitely not the message we want to send.

I got involved with BTCR primarily for its educational value and ability to
inform interoperability aspects of DID/DID-stack implementations. I think
it's been tremendously helpful in that regard, and it would be unfortunate
for "the granddaddy of DID methods" (h/t Joe Andrieu) to get booted out.

I propose:

   - Pushing the deadline out based on input from implementers (like us)
   - Allowing case-by-case extensions

Please respond to this thread if you'd also like an extension for
your method, and we can try to figure out whether a global extension or
case-by-case makes sense.