Re: VC HTTP API specification structure

Hi Steven,

First, your initial tool vs. use of the tool perspective did not resonate
with me. The VC contents are important to both the Issuer and the Verifier
as is the trust federation they share. None of that has anything to do with
self-sovereign identity or DIDs or the opportunity for the Subject to
introduce an agent as their delegate. A VC issued to the Subjects iris scan
or passport number would be just as useful to a Verifier with an iris
scanner or a passport presentation. Neither the iris scan nor the passport
check requires a network connection to call home or central database
per-se.

The privacy benefit of using a non-correaltable (same-domain) DIDs for
separate Subject relationships with the Issuer and the Verifier is valuable
and should definitely be supported but it is orthogonal to both the
delegation issues and self-sovereign identity.

Second, I think you did a good job of restating my concern for building on
a foundation of authorization and delegation if we're to preserve our
self-sovereign vision.

Third:
A. GNAP is not the only way but the people working on GNAP are much the
same as the ones that worked on OAuth and UMA before GNAP and we've moved
on to GNAP for various good reasons.

B. and C. can best be understood in terms a typical use-cases document:

   - As an Issuer, my principal role is to *process requests* for VCs from
   a Subject or on behalf of a Subject.
   - As a Verifier, my principal role is to *make requests* for VCs as
   authorized by a Subject or on behalf of a Subject.
   - As a Subject, my roles are:
      - make requests to Issuers
      - process requests from Verifiers
      - directly or by authorizing agents to act on my behalf.
   - As an API standards workgroup, VC-HTTP is *not concerned at all* with
   persistence of any VCs.
      - the Issuers can always (re) create a VC on request.
      - the Verifiers can discard the VC after processing or, with ZKPs,
      can avoid ever processing the VC itself.
      - the self-sovereign Subject can choose a many different ways to
      process requests from Verifiers, with or without VC storage (locally or
      custodial), with or without an agent,

C: I have 20+ years of evidence from health care on how powerful interests
manipulate standards in order to limit the ability of regulators to advance
the public interest. So yes, I'm happy to share details and examples of how
an industry manages to waste $1T / year of Subjects' money (compared to
other rich economies) and also contribute to over 570,000 people dying in a
pandemic while convincing them of the industry's heroic deeds.

- Adrian