Re: VC HTTP API specification structure

On 5/2/21 11:11 PM, Adrian Gropper wrote:
> We seem to be talking past each other.

I'm not certain of that... It's clear that you want to have a conversation
around delegation and authorization (and specifically, GNAP), and it's clear
that you believe that splitting the specifications into at least 3 separate
specifications will benefit a privacy analysis and make it easier to reason
about the specifications.

Do I have that right, Adrian?

> I am making an outcome argument and the group is making a process
> argument.

The group is attempting to pick a starting structure for the specification.

You are attempting to avoid making that decision now and instead would like to
discuss authorization/delegation and use cases before we pick a document
structure.

Is that correct, Adrian?

> One solution could be as simple as working on a use-cases document before
> we revisit the document structure discussion.

That could be a solution, and we could raise it as a proposal, if you'd like.
The group seems to want to work on both in parallel (which is also a
reasonable approach, given that we have a functional set of HTTP APIs that do
something today and have been used in a variety of interoperability plugfests).

> However, ignoring delegation and authorization at this stage will cause
> irreparable harm to innovation in self-sovereign technologies.

No one has suggested that we ignore delegation and authorization; just that we
delay that discussion until we have a specification structure in which to
write things.

The current proposal assumes different ReSpec files that are combined together
into one document. If we want to split them out into three separate documents,
it will be trivial to do so. This is an initial decision on specification
structure so that we can parallelize work; not a final decision.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches