From: Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@gmail.com<mailto:daniel.hardman@gmail.com>>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2021 9:57:19 AM
To: Alan Karp
Cc: Kim Hamilton; Manu Sporny; W3C Credentials CG (Public List)
Subject: Re: The dangers of using VCs as permission tokens

The use case that Kyle describes around delegation seems reasonable -- but I don't agree with the article's suggestion about how this would/could be modeled with VCs. The complexity of VCs as a delegation mechanism is not an inherent characteristic of VCs, but rather a characteristic of the wrong VC schemas. In other words, Kyle's critique might be better summarized as, "If you attempt to adapt complex VCs that weren't built for delegation to a simple delegation problem, you get a lot of baggage that makes it easy to make mistakes." Cue Alan's comment about confusion...

My conclusion would be: "Don't use complex VC schemas to delegate along the lines of the model Kyle warned against."

We had a deep discussion about whether or not to use VCs as OCAPs, facilitated by the chairs of the CCG. I suggest that if we want to explore this topic further, we allocate proper time and focus to it again, rather than touching on it in smaller, less contextualized increments.

--Daniel