Re: VC HTTP API Endpoint Authz Needs (was: Re: Attempting to block work)

Thanks Manu,

I agree with most of what you say.  Except the “no access to verification API by sole traders” bit.

I / we / government services really don’t see any difference between UI and API access.  It’s the same service for the same anonymous or identified party.  If we host a QR accessible anonymous verification UI then we’d also provide an API.  Our general principle is that everything you can do by UI you should also be able to do via API.  The sole trader might want to allow his financial system to hit the API rather than use the UI.  So we provide both UI and API for verification and it uses the same “anonymous user holding a secret key” auth method.  And the same DDOS concerns (and solutions) apply to both UI and API.

So we most certainly do have a case for verification API that does not (cannot) use OAuth.

Other than that I agree with all your comments.  Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can see that you put huge effort into your standards participation - to the benefit of all of us

While I’m at it - thanks for JSON-LD too!

Steven Capell
Mob: 0410 437854