RE: VC HTTP Authorization Conversation

As always Adrian, you are surfacing an insightful perspective. IMHO the conversation around ‘choice’ and ‘agency’ is still in the early stages and needs to be unknit more. At the one extreme we have the dominant authorities (be they governments or $2T corporations) dictating all the details and at the other end of the spectrum we have full sell-sovereignty that allows me to determine all aspects of receiving, storing and sharing information – which btw would include the ability / requirement to independently negotiate the terms of each and every data transaction I engage in. Maybe I even write my own wallet code. My point being neither extreme is very palatable, let alone practical. I don’t have a clear view of where all the lines of demarcation should go. Should I eschew a government issued driver’s license (or Apple ID) as identity and instead claim that 3,000 verifiable attestations from my Facebook family is a more trustworthy representation of who I am? Maybe that will work with some verifiers, maybe not with others. This is probably not the right thread to have this discussion, but I look forward to testing the proverbial fences around what a user’s ‘control’ envelope should really looks like.

-S

From: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2021 7:39 AM
To: Mike Varley <mike.varley@securekey.com>
Cc: Juan Caballero <juan.caballero@spherity.com>; Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: VC HTTP Authorization Conversation

Before continuing this thread, please listen to this 3 1/2 minute news story from this morning:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/11/1005419007/privacy-experts-ask-should-state-issued-ids-be-stored-on-our-iphones

The idea of sovereign issuers and verifiers that the subject may or may not be able to choose scares people. Today, it's only privacy experts that understand enough to be scared but we're putting our entire SSI project at risk by not getting ahead of this issue.

Will we allow the issuers of driver's licenses to decide what wallet they go into? "You must be a $2T corporation to be trusted with "our" VC."

Will verifiers like TSA then decide that they will only accept a VC from a "certified" wallet.  (Where certification depends on chain-of-custody or direct $2T corporate certification).

How is that self-sovereign identity? How would any of us respond to those concerns?

The _only_ solution I see that's consistent with SSI principles is to make it clear that a self-sovereign subject can decide whether to carry a wallet and what kind of wallet they carry. That's the way it is in the analog world.

We've worked so hard to make VCs "self-verifying". Do we really want to screw it up at the protocol level?

Adrian

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:49 AM Mike Varley <mike.varley@securekey.com <mailto:mike.varley@securekey.com> > wrote:

Hi Adrian,

> So people are suggesting that we should do OAuth2 first and then maybe do UMA or GNAP later. The group is unclear whether "later" is in another group and what customers will even care to implement attenuated delegation in the SSI protocols context. W3C might be just as happy for IETF to worry about that.

The problem for the VC-HTTP-API may be ‘smaller’ then what you are describing. Currently there is a gap in how service providers (issuers/holder/verifiers) consistently, in a standardized way, can generate (or “mint”), verify, or obtain/receive these credentials. The VC-HTTP-API is a (hope to be) standard API that services can integrate with to consistently achieve those functions.

In other words, system builders have a problem considering the bigger questions you are asking, Adrian, because we haven’t settled on an API for reliably working with credential containers or moving credentials around; let alone worrying about how we got the credential or engaged with a person/holder to begin with.

Let’s assume we solved for the perfect SSI privacy preserving, delegation authorization and trust model:

* As an issuer, what API do I call to generate a credential for this authorized session?
* As an issuer (with a credential to deliver to a holder), is there an API I can call, or an API the holder can call to transfer the credential?
* As a holder/presenter of credentials, what API do I need to support to collect a credential or present a credential presentation?
* As a verifier, with the holder’s permission, what API to I support to reveive a presentation?
* As a verifier, now that I have a credential presentation, how to I verify it for authenticity (i.e. properly signed by the involved parties/entities)
* ++ (see use cases document)

VC-HTTP-API may be a “bottom up” approach, where you (and other interested in the authZ conversation) are approaching more “top down”. I believe others in the group (and I will add my name to the list) want to fully support the discussion you are driving towards with authorization and delegation, but in a sequence of operations, by the time the auth/bootstrapping/delegation/permission/policy decisioning is completed (by issuer or holder or verifier) the VC-HTTP-API just has some “work to be done”.

For SSI to work the way we all want it to, your questions need to be answered.

For SSI to work at all (generally), we need a standard way for components to communicate (and VC-HTTP-API is one of these methods).

Does that help?

MV