Re: Identifiers in Verifiable Credentials

Hi Adrian,

We've got a few goals with all this:

   - really short term (ie doing it now) - *"simple VCs" *to replace
   cross-border paper documents with verifiable credentials for improved
   integrity & efficiency.  Specific examples
      - preferential and non-preferential certificates of origin
      - Phytosanitary (food health/quality) certificates
   - medium term (experimenting with it now) - *"participation in the trust
   economy"* to prove a model where regulators (eg department of
   agriculture) can leverage industry assurance schemes as  in order to reduce
   burden on trusted parties and to improve detection of non-compliance.
   Specific examples:
      - Developing a mutual recognition framework and supporting harmonised
      vocabulary of claims from multiple food safety assurance schemes (bit of
      machine learning in this) so that producers / exporters need only prove a
      thing once. eg a typical farmer in AU has to comply with
      https://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/,   https://saiplatform.org/,
      https://harpsonline.com.au/,
      https://micor.agriculture.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx and more - if a
      farmer has verifiable compliance claims from a trusted industry assurance
      framework then the regulator will accept them
      - Leveraging high integrity digital trade documents to reverse the
      regulatory compliance paradigm from (for example) "read that
huge stack of
      rules and figure out your duty payment" to "give us your
commercial invoice
      and we'll tell you what duty to pay".
   - longer term (but not too far away) - *supply chain transparency and
   traceability* across/between multiple trust networks.  There's lots of
   "use my blockchain magic platform to get traceability in your supply chain"
   type products out there now.  All have a specific geography and industry
   niche.  None will become the "facebook of trade" (thankfully!) and, in most
   cases, even one consignment touches multiple platforms.  So genuine
   transparency and traceability needs cross-platform linked claims. That's
   where VCs excel. The interesting challenge here is is how to do that
   without explicit authority delegations between parties that dont know each
   other but rather do it via a (kind of) off-chain NFT that accompanies the
   goods in any leg of a value chain.  We're doing some fun experiments with
   that now.

kind regards,

--
Steve Capell