Re: Identifiers in Verifiable Credentials

You are welcome ;)

But I did read it carefully (pasted text below) and I still disagree.  The reason goes back to the same discussion I constantly seem have on this thread.  That the group thinks almost exclusively about VCs about people.  Whilst I think almost exclusively about VCs about things - and occasionally about businesses.

Permits, licences, certificates issued about businesses or consignments  - almost always can (and must) be revocable - in a business sense, not just a technical / PKI sense.  Leaving that to the vagaries of different semantics seems to impose a big interoperability risk.

Then again, I suppose there’s nothing to stop an issuer revoking a credential using the “technical protocol” even if the cause is that a non compliance demands that the export permit be revoked….?

Your text :

“ There are two aspects of revocation that are potentially of concern to VC stakeholders, in particular, to verifiers. The first is that which is typically referred to as revocation in the PKI world, and this means that the VC should not be trusted because either the cryptography is broken, or the private key of the issuer or subject has been stolen etc. In this first case, the underlying identity information is still valid e.g. the subject is still a citizen of the country, is still a member of the club etc. but the VC cannot be relied upon to verify this. For example, a thief might be able to use a cryptographically broken VC to masquerade as the subject, hence it needs to be revoked. The second aspect is that the underlying assertion is no longer valid e.g. the subject is dead or is no longer a member of the club etc. Since the VC working group is not interpreting the semantics of the VC attributes, then this latter aspect is out of scope of the working group (in just the same way that negative VCs are out of scope). Consequently we will only concentrate on revoking VCs as part of their life cycle, when the cryptography cannot be relied upon to verify the VC.”

Steven Capell
Mob: 0410 437854