Re: Identifiers in Verifiable Credentials

What about the case where there is a subject but the VC is also presented by a bearer

For example

Issuer (border agency) issues a VC about a subject (ACME) that asserts that ACME is an Australian Trusted Trader.

ACME provides that VC (together with several others like an IP rights ownership VC (about a product ) and a certificate of origin VC (about a consignment) with their export document bundle to their customer (importer) who gives some of them to a customs broker who passes them to the importing border authority (customs) who is the verifier of the trusted trader VC and the origin VC (but doesn’t care about the IP rights vc). The IP rights VC is a direct exporter (ACME) holder to verifier (importer) VC.

This is pretty much business as usual in international trade - which comprises maybe 10 billion consignments (and hence VC bundles) per year

We have a combination of
- pure bearer VCs (eg the origin certificate where the subject is a consignment of goods)
- traditional holder VCs (eg the trusted trader status) - except that the holder is not the presenter so it’s kind of a holder VC used like a bearer VC
- pure holder is presenter (the scenario most often discussed in this group but the least common in cross border trade)

Whet is the correct use of subject ID and VC assertion ID in each of these cases?

Steven Capell
Mob: 0410 437854