Re: VC HTTP Authorization Conversation

It helps A LOT, Mike.

This "conversation" is happening at two levels that you are helping
clarify. Let's call them authorization and bootstrapping until someone
suggests something different. One level is simply the use of an
access (authorization) token to access a VC or VP. The other level is the
bootstrapping into trust.

As you clearly describe, much of the bootstrap is out of scope for both
OAuth2 and GNAP. In the end, an access token will be presented by a client,
blindly, to the VC-HTTP resource server endpoint (RS). The access token
will be signed by either the RS itself as a capability or signed by a key
that was established as part of the bootstrap process.

As I might explain it, the difference between OAuth and GNAP is almost
entirely in the bootstrap phase. As our SSI community understands better
than anyone, the establishment of trust is not neutral in terms of
sovereign or legal authority. Different bootstrap protocols will favor
adoption by the sovereign issuers or the by the self-sovereign subjects.

If we can agree that our work should serve both masters, then maybe we can
agree to work on OAuth and GNAP simultaneously as well.

Adrian