Re: Idea for a Proposal: Notation for resolving a DID identifier directly to the underlying object or collection of objects associated with the DID identifier

Inline:

Van: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Verzonden: donderdag 30 december 2021 15:51
Aan: Charles E. Lehner <charles.lehner@spruceid.com>; public-credentials@w3.org <public-credentials@w3.org>
Onderwerp: Re: Idea for a Proposal: Notation for resolving a DID identifier directly to the underlying object or collection of objects associated with the DID identifier

>> RE: then when a resolver calls the associated VDR using that DID URL, the VDR returns the identified digital resource, not the DID document.
>Charles, I'm surprised someone hasn't jumped in n this sooner: what type of resolver are you referring to? ...by that I mean if the resolver is a DID Resolution specification compliant resolver, the resolver can only return DID Document compliant resources (or portions of a DID Document compliant resource). ... if the above is true, supporting a TOIP query string parameter that can return arbitrary JSON structures will break interoperability of the DID ecosystem.

That depends on whether the resolver supports the respective parts of the DID spec registry. It is mentioned in there: https://www.w3.org/TR/did-spec-registries/#resource.
So it might not be part of DID-core, but just like other extensions it probably is supported by some resolvers.

> Your thoughts? ...my knowledge of the DID Resolution spec may be out of date.

It is nice that the DID spec allows for extensions. On the other hand I guess it also means we see more divergence, since not every implementation will support every extension, resulting in interop issues.
Kind regards,

Niels Klomp