Re: DID Formal Objection Status Update (Dec 2021)

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 at 13:43, Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <
mwherman@parallelspace.net> wrote:

> The DID-CORE specification is explicit about how colons can be used in
> the method-specific-id "for establishing hierarchically partitioned
> namespaces".
>
> From section 8.1..
>
> NOTE: Colons in method-specific-id
> The meaning of colons in the method-specific-id is entirely
> method-specific. Colons might be used by DID methods
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#dfn-did-methods> for establishing
> hierarchically partitioned namespaces, for identifying specific instances
> or parts of the verifiable data registry
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#dfn-verifiable-data-registry>, or for
> other purposes. Implementers are advised to avoid assuming any meanings or
> behaviors associated with a colon that are generically applicable to all DID
> methods <https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/#dfn-did-methods>.

Hi Michael

Thanks for quoting the spec text.

I think you've hit on something really important.

So my thought process was as follows:

1. did:method: ## this is a sub protocol
2. did:method:name ## this is a name space within the sub protocol

Let's compare with:

1. http:  ## this is a protocol
2. http://mycorporation ## this is a name space with in the protocol

So the idea is that (1) something that is a protocol or sub protocol, in my
mind should be a technical spec, non-proprietary, open

And that (2) could be also proprietary, a per company things, for profit
etc.

As we see with http and the web, that's how it works, http is neutral and
any company can have a web site.  It's a system that works well

With DID's it seems that things are more mixed.  Some of the sub protocols
or methods in the registry are proprietary security tokens with the aim of
monetizing the protocol

It would be good to clarify the extent to which did methods can be neutral
decentralized protocols, vs centralized, proprietary and monetizable