Re: DID Formal Objection Status Update (Dec 2021)

On 12/15/21 3:08 PM, Orie Steele wrote:
> I hope that the W3C will remain focused on technical standards and not
> be eaten alive by politics,

I, for one, applaud W3C's efforts to promote a just and ethical world.
I think it is important for individuals and organizations on every level
to do so in a manner appropriate to the context, even if there aren't
any simple answers.  Leaving the job to someone else just makes us
complicit bystanders.

> documents such as
> https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles
> <https://github.com/w3ctag/ethical-web-principles> that attempt to
> capture "consensus on ethical considerations" run the risk of becoming
> flashpoints that jeopardize the mission of the W3C,
Yes, that is a risk.  But choosing the right technical-vs-ethical
balance is a tactical consideration for maximizing one's effectiveness
-- not a reason to avoid ethical considerations altogether.

David Booth