Re: DID Formal Objection Status Update (Dec 2021)

I agree with a lot of Melvin's points.

There are a number of ways of seeking rent in a standards compliant
ecosystem, including implementing standards faster than everyone else and
then building dependencies on them as a way of driving market consolidation
or concentration.

The W3C process can be thought of as an attack vector regarding the
concepts of "decentralization" or "competitive markets" from this
perspective.

I think the best measure of success with respect to W3C RECs is diversity,
and measuring where most of the value of implementing the standard is
accrued, and aiming for a higher number than 1, 2 or 3 companies.

The important thing is that W3C RECs are not used to perpetuate
unsustainability, inequality, or violate ethical web principles, but I
suspect that this will also always be subjective.

One could argue that anything built on a payment system that is not crypto
currency based also suffers from these same challenges...

Imagine trying to use a payment system without feeding one of a small set
of established businesses..

It's a similar problem as trying to use a token without feeding the
pre-mine.

There are cases where we might prefer to seek federation over
decentralization...

Centralization ( or federation) isn't always a bad thing, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Inc.

OS
ᐧ

--