From: Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us>
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 2:11 AM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: drummond.reed@evernym.com; sethi shivam <sethishivam27@gmail.com>; W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Any Good use case of PAM (Privileged account Management) using Vcs

You wrote:
If I choose to sell the NFT, I’m not only delegating its rights but entire ownership of the NFT VC.
"Ownership" is a term used to describe a subset of conventional rights and sometimes duties, established by various political jurisdictions, that may be associated with one's relationship to a thing. Those rights are distinct from the thing itself and are also distinct from the affordances derived from mere possession of that thing. (Possession may afford an ability to benefit from some thing, but ownership assigns you a specific legal right(s) to do so in a certain way(s).) When a thing is sold, the sale does not modify the thing itself, only the assignment of the legal rights and duties associated with it. If permitted by applicable law, the act of sale may, by law, modify some of those rights and duties. (e.g. In some legal systems, some rights of ownership of some kinds of things may only be enjoyed by one who has specific characteristics.)

When you "sell" an NFT, you aren't actually selling the NFT itself even though we commonly say that you do. But, when designing technical systems, it is important that we attend to the precise technical nature of the actions we are modeling and that we don't allow the ambiguity of common parlance to confuse matters. Technically: No matter how many trades occur, the bits which constitute the NFT continue to exist unchanged and potentially in an unknownable number of copies. When you "sell" an NFT what you are actually doing is changing the assignment of the right to claim, and demonstrate, the right to exercise those rights which the NFT represents. If you were to delegate (i.e. loan?)  an NFC, you would not be transferring ownership of the NFT, but rather just the right to exercise some of the rights of ownership. Just as delegation of a credential does not cause the delegatee to become the delegator, even though the delegatee may act as the delegator, the delegation of an NFT does not make the delegatee the owner of the NFT. Delegation merely authorizes the delegatee to exercise some of the delegator's rights.

In summary: You should delegate rights, not credentials.

bob wyman