Re: [WORK ITEM PROPOSAL] Additional schemes for BBS+ sigs for non-LD data and processors

This is cool, I am excited to see more multi message signatures suites.

There have been previous "Linked Data Suites" that don't use URDNA2015, for
example:
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-cryptosuite-registry/#jcs-ed25519-signature-2020

There are a couple things the spec says that I don't fully agree with, and
the "W3C VC Data Model" examples in particular are a bit worrisome...

I see the use of `$schema` instead of the defined terms for that, such as:
https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#data-schemas

And I hate to be that guy, yet again... but:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#contexts

> Verifiable credentials
<https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-verifiable-credentials> and
verifiable
presentations
<https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-verifiable-presentations>
*MUST* include
a @context property <https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-property>.

That being said, I like the push for a multi message signature format that
can work with JWT a lot... JOSE in general needs more support for this kind
of thing.

The JWT examples are triggering, but that's not really your fault :)

I don't like that the JWT representation of VCs allows so much optionality
for where things may be present... inside or outside, iss vs issuer, nbf vs
issuanceDate... and I do love that despite not being required to, you have
included `kid`... how else would you know which key the issuer used!?! btw
you will still need to resolve this key somehow, which will involve hitting
a cache or a network... JSON-LD has a standard way of doing this called a
documentLoader... JOSE does not define something similar and neither does
the VC Data Model... DID Core does, it's called de-referencing... but you
need a DID URL to use it... which is why `kid` is so important.

Overall I think this is excellent, and it's going to be 100% necessary to
advance JOSE based multi message signature schemes, we will need something
like the approach you have taken... we can't just keep base64url encoding
json strings and calling it a day...

Excited to see this work evolve particularly as it builds on the same
underlying bbs with bls12381 signature suite that is used with existing LD
Proofs.

I'd be interested in doing an implementation of this, especially since i
just did an implementation of the linked data version last weekend:

https://github.com/transmute-industries/verifiable-data/tree/main/packages/bbs-bls12381-signature-2020

Replacing n-quads with an array of json path key values is pretty easy...
and if you preserve `@context` in the JWT variant you can retrain semantic
interoperability (and VC Data Model conformance)... you can even issue the
JWT and the LD Proof from the same key at the same time... here is an
example:

https://github.com/transmute-industries/verifiable-data/tree/main/packages/vc.js#create-verifiable-credential

OS

--